Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The trials and tribulations of dialup

This one should make all of you with fast Internet access feel REAL smug. I have dialup. SLOW dialup, to the point where my email takes about twenty minutes to download on any given morning. Today I had to UPLOAD an ad to Romantic Times Magazine for a promotional brochure I decided to take part in for the 2007 convention. I love doing the graphics, so spent the morning creating an ad I was really pleased with, saved it as a tiff file, as requested, and sent it. Or TRIED to send it. No way was my phone line going to handle a 4 mb tiff file. It shut down, locked up and probably would have cursed but I have the sound muted. My frustration was growing and I can't blame it on hormones. Finally gave in, packed up the lapstop, the glasses, the briefcase, etc. and hightailed it to the local coffeeshop/bookstore. (Yes, even on Cobb Mountain we have a coffeeshop/bookstore with wi/fi!) and got myself settled with a soy mocha, flipped open the computer and punched send. Didn't even have time for a sip. Damned thing was off and gone, sailing through cyberspace in the blink of an eye. It's magic, I tell ya. Pure magic! Magic the rest of the world has, but it's passed me by. Once we're settled here permanently, I'm getting broadband, but for now it just ain't gonna happen. Still, when I think of the time I waste, waiting for things to load, it definitely makes me gnash my teeth!

Comments:
Welcome to the 1990's, Kate!

Heh heh. Sorry, I don't mean to rub it in. I'm sitting in a lovely old restaurant on Union Square, watching tourists dash around during a brief break in the rain. There's a lovely group of older people across from me, some from Germany, talking about the upcoming wedding of their respective children who met in Africa. Charming people. I'd love to tell them so but I know my idol, Miss Manners, would not approve.

Topic drift, sorry. As much as I love my wireless, there's nothing faster than having the whole house wired. A friend of mine in Utah has a T-1 line into his house and outlets every five feet, recessed into the walls. It's techie heaven up there -- well, other than the part that involves being in a community with just a bit less diversity than San Francisco.

Gosh I sound smug. Best end here. ;-)

Bliss to all,
Doreen
 
Ooooh...you are smug, but I don't blame you. There is no more exciting city in the world than San Francisco. I remember taking my son there when Jon was about 14. He got out of the car near Union Square and took a deep breath and just stared. Then he said, "Mom, can you feel it? Can you feel the energy?" He was so right...there is a wonderful energy there you'll find nowhere else.
 
Karin, you are SUCH a smartass...and Jasmine, I would go with the cable that's available in a heartbeat, but we're still living in two houses and it's SO expensive...once I'm settled here, though, I don't care what it costs!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?