Wednesday, September 06, 2006

When is it just too much?

Talking promotion, here. We all get innundated on a regular basis with email from our fellow authors touting their latest book/contest/newsletter/chat/interview/ad nauseum (and yes, I'm just as guilty) but what I really want to know is, does that stuff work? I've pretty much given up all the online chat in readers' groups because I just don't have the time. I occasionally check out the Romantic Times readers boards, try to participate in the occasional chat and I make announcements and hold a contest through my newsletter every month (over 600 members) for both resident and non-resident readers, but I've shifted a lot of my promotion away from the lists. Why? Because I don't like reading everyone else's and figure that's probably how folks opening their email feel about mine!
Don't get me wrong--I love the occasional announcement of good news, the review clips and that sort of thing, but the constant barrage of blatant promotion from the same people gets old fast. So, what DOES work? I've been trying some new things, but the jury is still out--right now I'm primarily promoting my books to the booksellers. I send out a mailing with a cover letter, cover flats and bookmarks about five months before a new release and also stop in at bookstores wherever I go and offer to sign my books.
I also participate whenever anyone wants ideas for articles for RWR or RT and I try and involve myself in as many panels as possible at both RT and RWA conferences. When someone is putting on a course for writers, I'm quick to send anything they need, because that keeps my name out there. I think that name branding is more important than promoting individual books, but I'm not really sure if I'm right!
Anyway, what works for you? What advertising do you think gives you the best return for the time and money spent? Please let me know what it is that sells your books or, if you're a reader, makes you go out and buy one?
Thanks!

Comments:
I emphasize RT, where readers and booksellers outnumber other authors, even though authors are readers, too. Since I do both electronic and print books, I do print ads for print books and ads on review websites for ebooks.

As a former number-cruncher, I find it incredibly frustrating not to be able to quantify the results of my promotional efforts!
 
Well, considering what I write, WalMart and Target are out...doubt I'll ever see my books on the shelves of the local grocery store, either, though I will admit it's wonderful having them in the Rhapsody Book Club. It comes down to figuring out what pays and what doesn't, time-wise, for me now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?