Thursday, September 14, 2006

Romantic Gifts

In romance novels, often the hero gives the heroine gifts, especially in the form of jewelry or flowers. While both can be nice, I find both can be little impersonal. Which is why my favorite gift I ever received from my husband was... a dog.

My husband travels quite a bit for business, often internationally. He's brought home a few things - a really cool coffee mug, a couple of beautiful scarves (which I can't quite get the hang of wearing - Doreen, perhaps I can see you for a consult). But nothing beats the dog.

Now, it wasn't a real dog. We already have 2 of those, but at the time we only had 1. His name is Joey, a german shepherd (or Belgian Malinois, depending on who you talk to) rescued from the mean streets of Santa Clara. Skinny, sad, with a horrible case of separation anxiety, Joey joined our family and quickly thrived under our enthusiastic attentions. My husband, who was skeptical about having an "indoor dog," quickly declared Joey "the best dog ever." Shortly after Joey moved in, my husband took a business trip to Berlin. When he got home, he handed me a blue Swarovski bag.
"I know you're not big into the crystal figurines," he said, "but I hope you'll like this." Inside was a crystal figurine of a German Shepherd, and damned if the thing didn't look just like a crystal Joey.

Okay, I know it's corny that I teared up as I unwrapped it. And I know it's silly that I'm so emotional over a crystal figurine. But there's something so great about having someone who knows you so well, who knows exactly what will make you smile... That's more romantic than any diamond bracelety, in my book (although he also recently scored with a sterling silver turtle necklace he bought in Hawaii).

So what is the most romantic gift you've ever received? What did your loved one get you that showed that he or she knew you inside and out, and wanted to make you smile?

Comments:
My hubby knows I live for Star Trek and all things science fiction. His nickname for me is LadyGodiva. At one time I had hair past my buttocks and that is what he called me. The long hair is gone but the name stuck. Anyway, when I was a little girl I wanted to be an astronaut in the worst way. So one Christmas my hubby got me a star. The Star Registry has a Lady Godiva star named for me. Tears flowed, hugs and kisses followed.
 
Hubby once surprised me by saying that we had tickets to go on a weekend get-away.

"Get packed, we're going to Vegas."

He'd even arranged for our kids to head for a friend's house for the weekend. All I had to do was get packed.

I packed real fast.
 
Janet - now I know what to ask for next Mother's Day! Karin - I haven't gotten to the fish part :)

Jill - that is so cool, as is your story, Jasmine. so important to celebrate saying bye bye to the day job.
 
When Doug and I got married 35 years ago, we were dirt poor. His wedding ring cost $55 (gold was still $35 an ounce) and the jeweler threw mine in for free. We never spent money on jewelry because it was all we could do to pay the mortgage and keep our heads above water, financially. The Christmas we'd been married fifteen years, he gave me a surprise I will always treasure--an engagement ring. It was so NOT Doug, totally unexpected and very, very special. I burst into tears when he opened it for me and put it on my finger. Then he said, "Guess I'm good for another fifteen, right?" He wasn't kidding. Fifteen years later, on our 30th, I got a gorgeous black pearl necklace. The SECOND bit of bling he ever gave me. Wonder what I'll get on the 45th?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?