Monday, September 11, 2006

Roman Holiday

(Hi all. Mardi asked me to post this for her as she's on vacation! - Cricket)

Roman Holiday

To celebrate my upcoming birthday, my children decided to take me to a European capital I’d never previously visited – a stipulation that would exclude only London, Paris, Prague and Budapest. Though they kept the destination secret for ages, they finally took pity and gave me a bit of advance notice so I could do some preliminary research. So far, based on other travelers’ advice, I’ll want to see everything, eat everything and watch out for the drivers.

Rome brings up so many associations – romance, beauty, art, culture, history, style. The Audrey Hepburn movie whose title I borrowed for this column. “Three Coins in a Fountain.” Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The Coliseum and the Pantheon. Gorgeously dressed men and women.

For the few days I’ll be in Rome, I’ll typify the cliché of an American turista -- taking too many photos, buying too many souvenirs and looking unbearably dowdy. Maybe my eyes will lock with those of an incredibly gorgeous man. I’ll drink in every detail of his face and physique, mentally casting him as hero, villain or supporting cast for a new story.

To be continued. I’ll let you all know about Rome in my next blog. As for now, Ciao!

Mardi

Comments:
Oh, sounds like a blast, Mardi!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?