Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Men vs Women

While waiting for my takeout lunch I picked up a local small press newspaper. It one of those freebie papers restaurants leave around to entertain those waiting for takeout. I read an interesting article, but unfortunately I can’t recall the name of the paper or the author otherwise I’d acknowledge the man’s work.

The author wrote a very funny article about the experience of his first Playboy magazine and his first look at naked women. He and his friends buried the magazine beneath a bush in his backyard only to unbury it when parents or adults weren’t around. Finally, the magazine was discovered by Mom and confiscated.

I enjoy the article but it got me thinking about the difference between men and women and their introduction to sex. Boys look at Playboy, Hustler, etc. Most girls are drawn to romance novels. If Playgirl had been available to me, perhaps I would have hidden it away and retrieved it to look at penises. Okay, I definately would have looked at it.

Once I read my first romance novel, even the ones that didn’t tell what happened in the bedroom, I was hooked. I loved them. I still do. Given the the huge amount of book sales a lot of women must love romance novels.

Is it any wonder men and women look at sex from completely different views!

Comments:
Actually, I had a stash of Playboy magazines I stole from my older brother...wonder what that says about me? I also remember reading things like Fanny Hill and other early erotica in high school, long before I discovered Harlequins. I read my first "romance" when I was 26. That's when I decided I could write them...it only took me about twenty years or so to get one published.
 
How funny Kate - both my dad and my grandfather subscribed to Playboy, and I remember sneaking peaks at them when I was quite young. I knew there was something interesting in them, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Though I do remember my friend and I being fascinated/repulsed by one model's remarkably long pubic hair. This was back in the 70's before the brazilian wax became the norm.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?