Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bella wonders what you like/don't like to read

I'm spending a month in the Adirondacks with my mil and I always give her paperbacks to read. I've passed along my friend's books--currently on her bookshelf is Barbara Freethy, Jennifer Skully and Allison Brennan--all of which she has read and loved, ladies! In any case, we were talking about books and she made the comment that she doesn't want to read stories about women figuring things out and working out their relationships with other women. I found this to be really interesting, because she voraciously read romances and in a lot of cases, along with the love relationship, the heroine goes through a process of figuring things out. Her preference is quite clear--no books with three/four women characters working through their issues.

It made me think about what I like/don't like to read. I really love women's fiction and romance. And honestly, that's about it. I can't read thrillers because they are too scary. Romantic suspense sometimes works. And literary fiction is usually a wallbanger. Oh--and I LOVE travel writing. I devour Bill Bryson's books and anything about someone who moves to Italy/France/UK to start a new life.

What are your reading preferences?
;-) Bella
http://www.bellaandre.com

Comments:
I have terribly eclectic reading preferences, though I always insist on the HEA...unless, of course, it's got a satisfying "HFN" (happily for now)My shelves have everything from erotic romance to hard SF to humorous contemporaries and all the Harry Potter books. If the story is well written, I will read just about anything.
 
I do like women's fiction about women working through issues, but I like it to be one character's journey. Storylines with 3+ women, battling with problems and helping each other through them don't usually interest me. For the real-life women's fiction, I like gritty books that deal with real-life issues for exactly the reason Jasmine dislikes because, well, it is real life. :-) I also enjoy thrillers. Ironically, when I'm working on an erotic romance WIP, I want to read non-romance books when I take a break to read.
 
Hi Bella, thanks for passing along my books! I'm glad they were enjoyed (even if they're too scary for you, LOL).

I like anything with suspense. Mysteries, romantic suspense, thrillers, even some horror (mainstream like John Saul or Stephen King). Straight romances have to be really, really good for me to enjoy them . . . like Jenny Crusie, Nora Roberts, Jayne Ann Krentz and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I really like Susan Andersen, who is more "romantic suspense light"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?