Friday, September 15, 2006

Basking in the Afterglow

Last week, after overdosing on coffee and forgoing sleep to meet the deadline for my latest book, The Sin Club, I wondered why I felt so drained. Well, beyond the obvious reason, that is. And it finally dawned on me:

Just as the actual sex act – done right, LOL – can be exhausting, so is writing erotic romance.

Why is that? Well, for me it’s because sex is a major character in the story who must be present at all times. Even when the hero and/or heroine are not thinking about sex or having sex or even together in the same scene. What the hero/heroine is seeing, thinking, saying, physically and emotionally feeling, as well as smelling and tasting, must be used to convey sensuality consistently – before, during, and after the actual sexual intercourse. The reader must always feel the sexual tension regardless of what is happening in the story. And keeping that level consistent, even in the most mundane conversation, takes a lot of work. At least for me and the level of sensuality I try to maintain in my writing.

But it’s over. I’m done. The book has been turned in. And I feel like I would after a great round of sex: Satisfied and complete. I think the exhaustion was worth it – The Sin Club pleased me.

So … is it just me or do other writers feel like this after completing erotica/erotic romance? And from a reader standpoint, do you like sensuality present in every scene?

Comments:
I'm writing the final chapter right now of a novella that was due Sep. 1, so I really agree with Jasmine's comments...especially since the novel I sent in on Sep. 1 had been due Aug. 1! However, I have to agree with Rachelle, too. I love writing a good, hot sex scene and do feel physically exhausted when I'm done. I just wish my deadlines weren't so close together...I can just hear myself calling my editor and saying, "Not tonight, dear. I have a headache..."
 
Thanks for the comments, Jasmine & Kate. I agree with you both about the deadlines -- I think that, too, contributes to my exhaustion.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?