Sunday, August 06, 2006

Watching Rae win the Golden Heart

I was hoping Rae Monet would have a chance to blog about winning the Golden Heart at RWA Nationals in Atlanta last week, but I imagine she's one busy girl and hasn't had the chance. SO, I decided to write about WATCHING Rae win it. You see, Rae's win was very special to me. She's in the early stages of MS--and multiple sclerosis is a disease that changes everything in your life. I know, because I was diagnosed in 1985 when I was just 35 years old. When she gave her acceptance speech, she talked about her diagnosis and how she had poured so much of her anger and heartbreak (my words, not hers) into her book after learning what she had. Damn but I can relate to that, and I sat there listening to her short but heartfelt speech with tears running down my face and thinking, "You go GIRL!" The thing is, I was sitting there with my agent, feeling on top of the world because, after so many years of struggle in this very tough business, not only is my MS in full remission, I'm finally published and my books are doing well, something I dreamed of for all those years and yet never expected. That's what writing is, actually. A profession where we put our dreams down on paper for the world to see and criticize, so it's really gratifying to see one of our own take the podium as a winner. Rae, you are so talented and have such a wonderful life ahead of you. Even though that should have been a RITA they handed to you, your Golden Heart was very much deserved. Congratulations and write on!

Comments:
Rae--I'm so THRILLED for you!!! And I know the award was well deserved. Big sale, big sale, big sale!!!
;-) Bella
 
Ahh, thanks, Kate. Being able to make that speech, sharing it with so many people, was the highlight of the night, not to mention the award itself. It was like a Fairy Tale evening. It happened as if in slow motion. Karin and I were sitting there, clutching hands, and Sherrilyn Kenyon read the nominees, then the envelope came her way. I think all she got out was Blood was Karin started screaming, and after we hugged each other, I fumbled around in my purse for the words I had so hastily written down on a tiny piece of paper. I made my way to the podium, got a big hug from Sherrilyn, and went up to give my speech. After the fact, I wish I would have thanked way more people, but you know how it is… when you finish, you always think of more to say.

Here’s what I said, in a nutshell. It started with a resounding “WOW.” and a deep breath ;)

“Most of you know me as Rae Monet. I want to thank RWA and the judges of the Golden Heart contest. I’d also like to thank my best friend, Karin Tabke, and my critique partner, Edie Ramer. Thank you to my publishers, Red Sage and Liquid Silver books. For me, Blood Squad has been a journey back from a nearly crippling diagnosis of MS. Despite the fact there is no cure for my disease, Blood Squad has shown me, there is hope. Thank you.”

Oh at least I think it was something like that, LOL. When I returned to my seat, Karin and I did another hug, sat through the rest of a very nice ceremony in a blur and big smiles, then went for the chocolate.

After that, the night was full of many hugs and congrats. I was in a happy haze and still am. I couldn't have asked for a better evening.
 
That happy haze was there all evening, Rae. And well it should be. Such an awesome accomplishment and so well deserved. Congratulations!

And so happy to hear both you and Kate are in good health.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?