Saturday, August 26, 2006

Bella wonders where other erotic romance writers first sex scenes land?

I'd love to hear from the rest of the red hot ladies on this one--and of course any other writers checking in: Where does the first sex scene in your book always end up?

I'm asking because I've come to learn that everyone has their own style and that, more of than not, we tend to use the same plotting/character pattern for each one of our books--even when everything else about them is completely different.

For example, remember how every single romance used to have the first sex scene at 200 pages and then maybe another one at 250?

In my books, I've found that my characters always relate to each other sexually within the first 20 to 30 pages. Not because I feel compelled to start my books off with a sex scene, but just because that's the initial driving element of their relationship. If they already know each other from their pasts, they tend to reunite many years later in bed (althought rarely in a bed!). If they have just met then it's possible that one of them is using the sex with a stranger thing to deal (poorly, of course) with some crisis in her or his life.

And for readers: Do you care where the first sex scene happens? In the beginning? Middle? End?

;-) Bella

Comments:
All my stories to date, be they novellas or single titles, involve strangers, so I'm able to push out the first sex scene until farther into the book. In fact, in THE SEX LOUNGE, my upcoming ST, the penetration sex scene doesn't happen until Chapter 10 (of 19).

But the sexual tension/sexual games are always evident from the first few pages in the book and consistently throughout.

As a reader, I'm not sure I have a preference -- it's whatever makes sense for the character, as Jasmine says. But I find that I lose interest quickly when the sex scene happens near the beginning and numerous sex scenes follow in quick succession. For me, it's the sexual tension -- before, after, and during the sex -- that makes the book hot.
 
Hmmmm...you mean writers actually have a system? I'm not kidding--my sex scenes are all over the place. Sometimes they open the first chapter, sometimes they happen later, but there's no rhyme or reason to where they end up, other than the fact that's what the characters dictate. I honestly never know until I sit down to write where the sex scenes will go.
 
Great comments! I love hearing everyone analyze their own books. So fun! Anyone else want to share?
;-) Bella
 
My sex scenes are at different times depending on the characters. In my first novel, The Hunter, The first sex scene was almost in the middle of the book, but the tension always starts before the sex, in my novels any way. In my second novel Rekindled Passions, the sex scene happens not as late as in the first one but there is plenty of sexual tension leading up to that point. This is the point that I always make sure to get across in my novels. I want there to be lots of tension building up to the moment when they finally have sex. This makes the scene hotter for me and my readers, I hope LOL. For me I would say it really depends on my characters when they have sex and where.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?