Friday, June 09, 2006

What is your procrastination trigger?

I've got a very busy two months ahead of me. Copy edits on one book, revisions on another, and 150 pages to write on a third--all before my August 1st due date (a baby, not a book!). And yet, as I sit waiting for the DHL package with the copy edits to arrive possibly today, maybe not until Monday, rather than make a dent in the 150 pages that need to be written I'm steam cleaning, blogging, and wandering around the backyard seeing if any new strawberries have ripened in the past thirty minutes.

I've been on vacation for the past two weeks, and honestly, it's like pulling teeth to get myself to write again whenever I come back from a chunk of time away from writing. I know it, I know that it will pass and the pages will start flying from my fingertips again if I can only push through it, but does that help? No. Not really. Does my husband's encouragement or my CPs cheerleading get me to the page? No. No usually, anyway.

That's why I decided to blog about procrastination today--in the hopes that when nothing else seems to work, that at least putting words down in blogger.com will start the engine running again. And for everyone else--what's your procrastination trigger?

;-) Bella
http://www.BellaAndre.com

Comments:
My procrastination trigger happens whenever I am between projects. Like now, for instance. My novella which is due on July 1 is finished, sitting on my hard drive ready to be printed out. I have a ST due September 15, and though the book exists in draft form, it will require substantial revisions (perhaps even a total rewrite, though the lazy ass in me is sooooo tempted to take the easier way out). How far have I gotten? I've read about 1/2 way through it, and made like 2 notes about changes I could make. And though I could have leveraged grandparents visiting and other childcare to do more, instead I've been using family visits to slack off and play, even though i can't make up that lost time.
 
My biggest procrastination tool is blogging, and running around the internet reading other's blogs to see what everyone is procrastinating about...

Although I should be writing my new contracted book for Nocturne after a fantastic talk with my new editors..but it's like I'm too over stimulated I can't sit still to type anything worthwhile...

Except of course, this blog entry.... ;-)
 
My procrastination trigger is being stuck -- when I've somehow managed to lose where the story is going or lose the conflict or discover that something that I thought would work is suddenly not working or ... ?

Like now. I've got several someones waiting for my women's fiction book 7/1, my erotic romance single title is due 8/31, and I need to revise my option novella asap. So why am I blogging? Why am I sitting here at Starbucks, staring out the window in between checking my cell phone for [hopefully!]a couple of missed calls. Why am I letting the meter run, the deadlines steadily approach, while I do everything but write?

Because I've managed to get stuck on all of them.
 
You guys need triggers? Sheesh, I think I procrastinate to avoid everything, from writing to cleaning house! I need to go take the dog for a walk and then get groceries, and I'm sitting her blogging, for example. Earlier I managed to fold clothes rather than make breakfast--I think it always comes down to not wanting to do what I SHOULD be doing and finding anything else to take its place. Now, I'm really hoping that when I tell myself I need to do yardwork today, I'll end up writing instead. Maybe if I just play these little head games with myself? Nah...won't work! I'd figure out my own ulterior motive!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?