Monday, June 19, 2006

My "Real" Job

Last month, on a plane to Orlando, the man wearing the cowboy hat and boots sitting next to me struck up a conversation.

"Are you traveling for business or pleasure?" he asked with a real twang. (I'm starting to understand this cowboy/uniform fascination – but that's a different blog entry.)

I paused. I wasn’t traveling for my day job but ...


"Business," I finally said.

"What do you do?"

Another pause. Which answer should I give him? I chose the easy one. That is, the one that would result in fewer questions. "I'm a business consultant but I also write so I'm meeting a group of writers for a writing retreat."

"What do you write?"

"Romance," I said. Since he seemed genuinely interested, I launched into a passionate monologue about what I write, when my first book came out, and future pub dates.

After I'd run out of air, he nodded and said, "So writing is your real job."

My mouth dropped open. Then I grinned. "Yeah. It is."

I could have kissed him. When's the last time a stranger's concluded that writing is your "real" job?

Comments:
Wow...what a wonderful thing to hear! Gives me chills reading it, but so true--where your passion lies, that IS your real job. The rest just helps you get by until you're making enough money at what you love to walk away from the SDJ! I bet you absolutely walked on air after that!
 
I love it! What a fantastic sounding guy. ;-) And the writer's retreat sounded fab too.
;-) Bella
 
Kate, I will admit that I could not stop grinning. He said it so matter-of-factly.

Was it Jami who wrote recently about cowboys? I think I'm in love ... LOL

Thanks, Jasmine and Bella. :-)
 
Writing is where the passion lies. Ain't it the truth!
 
Definitely the truth, Janet!
 
Leave it to a cowboy! :-)
 
Hmmm. It sounds like you've already discovered the cowboy mystique, Cassidy ... :-)
 
My current day job is mommy, so I suppose I have 2 "real" jobs. But my hackles always raise a little when someone says, "how's that writing thing going?" Like it's a silly little hobby I dabble in. No one ever says, "how's that parenting thing going?"
 
I hear you, Jami. Which is exactly why I was so touched when the stranger took my writing seriously, unprompted. I can't believe the number of people who have asked, once I tell them I write, "How much do you make writing?" My response is ... I smile sweetly and ask, "How much do you make as a (insert occupation here)?"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?