Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Who Are You Calling a Bitch?

The heroine of my current WIP has a little personality problem. Basically, she's a bitch. Not to mention a snob, who, for various reasons, doesn't think the hero is appropriate dating material. I know she's bordering on unsympathetic, and possibly unworthy of the hero's love and devotion. The problem is, I like her. I like that she's a little uptight, concerned with her image, and reflects attitudes of women I actually know (and love!). And I love that she's not so super sweet and incredibly perfect that everyone who meets her is absolutely enchanted by her beauty and grace (barf!). On the contrary, while she's very beautiful, most people find her kind of cold, and the hero is one of the few people who sees the loveable woman under her perfect exterior.

Then I went back and reflected on my other books, and realized that out of 5 novellas and 2 single titles, my favorite heroines are on the bitchier side.

We're all familiar with the reformed rake/uber-alpha/asshole hero, but what about the loveable bitch? Do you like reading or writing them? Has an author ever gone too far in creating either a bitch or an asshole and made you think he/she wasn't worthy of the other's love?

Comments:
My spouse and I just watched a movie last night with a bitch for a heroine: The Family Stone. It was wonderful, and watching the bitch find her inner woman was a lot of fun. The nice thing with a bitch for a heroine is that a lot of us identify with her and want her to get the guy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?