Sunday, May 28, 2006

That opening sentence

I'm starting Wolf Tales IV today, which is actually the seventh book in my series, which means there's a whole lot of stuff to remember, but my muse is being way too generous. She's given me about six different openings, and I'm having trouble finding that killer sentence. Think about it...when you start a new book, you start with an image that has got to snag both your editor and your reader. So, do you start in the heroine's point of view, or the hero's? Do you open with action or introspection? It's tough and it often means half a dozen false starts before you get the one line that sets your muse free. This conundrum is just part of the process of writing, and it's actually one I really enjoy. I spent most of today working in the garden, working on my opening line. I had planned to start with my hero, but the heroine won out. Here's what I ended up with:

If she sat very still, the wolves ignored her, even now in the failing light of dusk.

Now, would that snag your interest? We shall see if it actually works or not, but damn, I love my job!

Comments:
Oh yes, this would definitely make me read, Kate! Love that for an opening line. Hope you use it.

I was going to say that I always seem to start my books with dialogue, with the heroine in the middle of a conversation with someone. But my current WIP is in the hero's POV, where's he's an "unwilling" voyeur, so there's no dialogue. Quite a bit different for me, but it's been fun to play with.

So I agree with you -- the ability to be creative, to try different things until that voice in your head shouts "that's it!" is one of the things that makes writing so fun. Or, at least, "fun" on the good days. LOL

Here's hoping that Wolf Tales IV writes itself ...
 
LOL...I'm writing, I'm writing! Lisa, my heroine, gets the opening line, but Tinker McClintock, the hero, gets the first sex scene. I LOVE his character. He's African American but was raised by a white family, so has a whole set of issues that set him apart. He's going to save Lisa, but she'll save him as well. Can't wait to find out how!
 
I love that intro. I think the first words of a novel can be very powerful;).
 
I love opening lines. If I had a full story for every opening line I've got in my scary head, I'd have 100 series.

And I'm partial to the heroine opening the book. Usually calling the hero a naughty name. LOLLOL

DC :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?