Friday, April 28, 2006

Island Time...

People who have to listen to me (and bless you all for not telling me to put a sock in it!) know that I've been on a killer schedule since I first signed with Kensington last fall...as in two single titles and two novellas completed in seven months. To top it off, I've just been asked to write three more single titles and three novellas which is totally cool and absolutely terrifying, so you'll understand why I've felt as if my life were spinning a bit out of control lately. Then, on Thursday, I got on a plane and flew to Hawaii to visit our son and his wife...and our three month old granddaughter, Ella. It's now Friday and I'm in Kaneohe, on Oahu. I am NOT writing anything...well, except for the blog, but that doesn't count, does it? :-) I'm sitting her listening to a soft rain falling through the palm trees, Melanie, my daughter in law, is nursing Ella, I've got one of their extra laptops so I can check email, a great book half read and a glass of diet Coke on the table next to me. I'm so relaxed I'm almost nervous! Where's the drive, the need to create, to (figuratively) put pen to paper? It's got to be island time, the slow pace of the tropics, the fresh scent of rain overlaid by baby powder and the ginger growing just outside the window. It's probably a good thing for my career that I don't live here. I think I could get used to this! Aloha, and I'll see you all next week.

Comments:
Oohhhh, stop worrying and relax it up, the stories will come, but a new grandbaby, well they aren't a baby forever!!
 
downtime is wonderful, and i'm always wishing for some when i'm busy, but i know what you mean about suddenly being in it and wondering, "oh my god, i'm not working feverishly on something" and freaking out a bit.

continue to have a fab time in hawaii, kate! you deserve it.
;-) bella
 
Yes, I'm aware of your hellish schedule -- and still in awe over how you accomplish so much! You deserve this vacation, Kate, and I hope that you enjoyed the time not writing, as well as your beautiful granddaughter.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?