Friday, February 03, 2006

Sex or no sex?

Okay, I guess because I was one of the first authors to actually publish a NASCAR romance which was Racing Hearts, with http://Liquidsilverbooks.com in 2004, people want to know what I think about the relationship between NASCAR and Harlequin. I honestly have to tell you, despite all the press that questions this partnership, I think this arrangement between Harlequin and NASCAR is just smart business. There was a comment about the sensuality level when Pamela Britton’s In the Groove was released last week. Specifically, one reviewer questioned if the fact the door was closed on the sex was affected by the NASCAR relationship. This is what I have to say about that; it makes sense that a business relationship with NASCAR might affect the level of sensuality on a book, but really is this any different than any other publisher/line we write for?

IMHO, no.

Some editors/lines have their little nuances about what they like and don’t like, and we usually end up revising based on this anyway. Some lines want hotter sex scenes; some want less, some want none. Additionally, I don’t think you need to necessarily HAVE to open the door on sex to portray intimacy in a book, do you?

I write for an erotic publisher, sex, and the foreplay leading to sex have always been important to me, however, could I write a book closing a door on sex and still make it good? YOU BET!!! I think I could and I don’t think it would change my literary voice at all. I actually think it takes a talented author to write a good closed-door-on-sex book and make it great, like I felt In The Groove was. Honestly, I don't think In the Groove would have been any different because Pam's voice is Pam's voice.

What do you think? Can you enjoy a good book without sex?


Comments:
LOL...occasionally, though I recently read one and felt totally cheated. It absolutely cried out for a hot bedroom scene at the end, and all I got was the suggestion of what had happened. I have a sneaking suspicion the author WROTE one for herself, and just didn't leave it in the final copy... :-)
 
To date I've enjoyed the Harry Potter books and I was very fond of the Hobbit...

Oh, I bet you meant a ROMANCE book.

Well, of course. I can enjoy a good story that doesn't show the sex. I can enjoy almost anything.

I did read one book that nearly hit the wall when there was such a build up to a sex scene and then...nothing. We never saw them consumate it, and frankly given all the sexual tension build up, it was pretty painful to have the door not closed, but slammed into the face.

But it just depends on how it is written. If you don't have 150 pages of swelling organs, and intimate arousal details, no sex is fine.
 
hmmm. Can I enjoy a romance without sex? I'm sure I have, though I can't remember one off the top of my head. I suppose. But if I know ahead of time that a book will have a closed door policy on sex, I will most likely not buy it. Call me shallow, but seeing how the sexual tension plays out is important to me. It doesn't necessarily have to be all that graphic, but I like to have to have something. In Pam's case, I'm curious how readers are reacting, if they go into it expecting her usual level of sensuality, only to find the door shut.
 
I've read many a book where the build up is good and the sex scene disappointing -- these are the ones where I skip over the sex to get to the next build up. And then there are those where there's detailed sex and the out-of-bed scenes failed to capture my interest (which prevented me from being able to get into the sex scene -- I felt cheated on the foreplay). So, in these instances, I would have preferred no sex. Maybe I'd have found the books more enjoyable. ;-)

So, all this is to say, yes, I could enjoy a book with no consummated sex scenes. Titillating dialogue, sexy characters, sexy plot, foreplay, etc. that is well-written can be more erotic than an uninteresting sex scene.

I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't heard about the Harlequin/NASCAR relationship. Better go Google it now ...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?