Sunday, February 26, 2006

My Brush with Fame!

Last Tuesday I got the kind of phone call I never once dreamed I'd hear--Kensington's publicist calling to ask me if I could fly to LA on Thursday to tape the Geraldo At Large show for a piece on erotic romance, or, if that wouldn't work, could they come to my home to tape an interview! I remember blinking a couple of times to make sure I was awake and then saying, "Sure. No problem." I told her I'd prefer to go to LA as our house is very much in the midst of a remodel and barely suitable for human habitation, much less a film crew. Mary said she'd call back with travel details etc. When she finally called back, it was with an apology to tell me another author who lived close to a studio in Manhattan would be much more convenient to interview. I actually was relieved--Sunny Chen, the author who was selected, is beautiful and articulate and a much better representative of this growing genre than I could ever hope to be. Plus, I'd gotten all the fun out of bragging about my chance to go on TV without having to actually pack my suitcase. Not a bad deal. It was not without a certain amount of trepidation, however, that I watched the Geraldo at Large program on Thursday night. I mean, the man is known for his sleaze appeal, sort of a National Enquirer mentality...I could only imagine what he might do with something so ripe for attack as erotic romances for women. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Not by Geraldo--he got in his sexist dig with the question, "Are women just hornier today?"--but with the wonderful tone of the interview done by reporter Laurie Dhue who referred to our books as "empowering for women." Sunny was absolutely wonderful, as was Liz Maverick who was also interviewed...but I still got my brush with fame. When the covers of books scrolled across the screen--impressive on our 50" HDTV-- there was Wolf Tales! In fact, I counted at least three times my cover made the screen, along with The Hard Stuff and Pleasure Beach, Champagne Rules and more...it was wonderful. Then at the end of the segment, what did Laurie hold up but a copy of my newest release, Sexy Beast! I just sat there and grinned, especially when my husband turned to me and said, "Congratulations. That was cool." Yep. Definitely cool. There is a video clip in the archives at http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/video-archive.php that shows almost the entire program for anyone who is interested. I think I'm going to link to it from my website! This week Geraldo, next, the world--right guys?

Comments:
It was a really great story and the only thing I would have changed about it was that while Kensington and Avon are now entering this market, it was Ellora's Cave, Red Sage, and the many e-presses that pioneered the development of Erotic Romance years before the "big guys" decided to take a crack at it.

Plus there is the fact that authors like you and Liz Maverick learned to write these books for the above presses. The industry owes a measure of respect to those who did it first and still do it extremely well.

Somehow that message keeps getting lost and it is a shame.
 
Kate, This was so fantastic! I loved how many times your books (and Karin's) came up during the clip.
;-) Bella
 
VERY cool.

And I missed Sunny's last name - I wondered if that was her. I reviewed one of her books last year ;)

Loved seeing your cover scroll by.

Overall, a great piece. But Geraldo is still an a$$ - glad the internet let's us do things like watch the clip without having to watch his show!
 
So true, Janet. I was really hoping I could get on, because I truly hoped to mention EC. Even my editor at Kensington admits that their foray into erotic romance is due to EC's influence. Would you believe that my "bio" on the back of Sexy Beast says I "...made her print publishing debut with Wolf Tales in January 2006." Talk about denial!
 
I thought the show was great - enjoyed seeing KATE DOUGLAS's book taking a second or two on screen.

WTG, girl.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?