Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It's the little things...

There was an interesting column in our local paper this week about dealing with the little things, how we let them bug us and drive us nuts and stop us from doing what we want to do. My first thought, of course, was "how true!" I can't write now because the laundry isn't done, I can't write now because I need to go to the store, I can 't write now because...you get my drift. Of course, the more I thought about it, the more I realized the little things keep us from worrying about the big things--the fact our country is at war, that the global economy scares me because I don't understand it, crime is rampant and uncontrollable and, for those of us in California, the "Big One" could hit any moment. That's when I realized I need the little things. I like having lots of little worries to keep my mind off the big stuff. I can take those little worries and keep them under control, deal with them or ignore them as I see fit and complain about them, but they're within my scope of understanding...essentially under my control. I've got a sign on my office wall: Don't sweat the small stuff. Maybe I need to rethink that one. Enjoy the small stuff...it's a lot easier to deal with than the things we can't control.

Comments:
You're sane? WOW! I'm impressed...I gave that up long ago!
 
So funny - I've been having conversations lately with Bella about how I worry too much, overthink things, when I should just write that book/buy that kitchen table/play that game with my baby, etc, etc. That said, I still wake up in the middle of the night and worry about the big things, especially when DH is out of town, like "what if the earthquake hits NOW?" But at least with the little things, I can make a plan, have a strategy of how to address the worry, giving me the illusion of some bit of control over my life...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?