Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Love Good Train Wreck

Every season, I say I won't watch it. That I can't stand another 12 weeks of watching overly made up, starved to the point of angry psychosis women frolic in a hot tub with a single, unworthy suitor. And yet, on my tivo this morning, there it was.

The Bachelor.

And after last season's debacle with that buffoon Charlie O'Connell, I think ABC has picked a winner. Why?

a) the bachelor is totally hot, in a burly, brawny, cornfed all American kind of way. Like if poetry spewing nancy boy Ryan Sutter (who that midget-handed, baby talking, annoying as all hell Trista picked on The Bachelorette) actually had a pair. And he’s a doctor who graduated from Duke, so he may actually have a brain.

b) the chicks are already going psycho, like the 33 year old doctor who told him she was ready to “reproduce,” and then flipped out when he didn’t pick her. Then she proceeded to grill a hapless production assistant on why he thought the bachelor didn't pick her.

SWEET!

But every time I watch, I get a little nauseated, watching these women regress back to junior high, channeling the most evil incarnation of their inner 13 year olds. But I can’t stop. Instead I sit on the couch in smug superiority at their antics, amused and horrified that these (for the most part) attractive, successful, otherwise normal women would embarrass themselves on national television and convince themselves they’re madly in love with some joker after only a handful of dates.

And yet I write in a genre where couples fall in love at madly accelerated rates, are engaged to one another within weeks, and sometimes days of meeting each other. Maybe it’s our fault, perpetuating the romantic myth for these women to buy into, causing them to abandon all dignity and sense of self for a chance to land the so-called perfect man as defined by ABC television. Maybe…

Nah.


Comments:
Guilty of watching the show last night too. Couldn't help wondering what the hapless Allie must have thought as she watched herself self-destruct. She sounded like a robot lamenting that her eggs were almost past their prime. Can't imagine that line works very often... Also her French was incorrect (hey, once a French teacher, alway a French teacher).

Have to wonder why any of them are there -- including the hunky Travis. LOL, especially the hunky Travis. Hmmm.
 
Oh, come on, Mardi, what man wouldn't drop trou immediately when a woman says, "Ooh baby, you're so hot, I want to reproduce with you!" Or maybe, "Je voudrais reproducer avec vous!" And she wonders why online dating doesn't work - maybe she should remove her perceived ovary expiration date from her profile.
 
LOL...have never seen it, but now you know why I don't watch tv.
I'd never make it on a show like that...my eggs are WAY past their prime! (and do I ever like it that way!)
 
Well, as someone who faithfully watches both The Amazing Race and Survivor and plans to get caught up on Project Runway, I'd be a fine one to talk about other people's guilty pleasures.

*g*
 
Ooh, I LOVE the amazing race (but not the family edition - I have the same "bachelor" feeling of horrified delight when spouses scream at each other, but not when parents scream at each other in front of their children), and Survivor, especially when I can ff through the challenges. And Skully, I think the key is that if our characters lose their dignity for each other, at least (if we've done our job right) there's no doubt that the hero or heroine is worth the humilation.
 
I feel so out of it! I gave up t.v. more than 4 years ago, so I haven't seen any of these popular shows.

The other day, my dad said, "You know, Rachelle, for the type of books you write, you should probably watch 'Desperate Housewives.'" (Not that he's ever watched it.) Now, my dad's a wonderful father and I know he meant well but ... from what little I've heard about this show, I'm not sure it'd ... inspire me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?