Sunday, January 22, 2006

A brand new man...and dayum, he's GOOD!

Okay, so I'm working away on Wolf Tales III, my series about shapeshifting wolves, and the story is moving along the way it's supposed to, and I get to a point where my hero and heroine, who are being stalked by government agents hoping to trap shapeshifters for a clandestine breeding farm, suddenly turn the tables and the bad guys end up dead...one, two, three...only there are four of them, and before the hero can kill the fourth bad guy, my heroine stops him and says NO...he's one of us. He's Chanku! And I'm like, now wait a GD minute, folks...where the hell did that come from? And that, my friends, is why I love to write. I never know. Each book is like one surprise after another. I turn my characters loose and they tell me things I never would have figured out on my own. The secret is to give them the freedom to spin the tale their way...and Lord knows they do! From a secondary character w/o a name, I've now got Baylor Quinn, a secret government agent with an even bigger secret--he has always believed he was a shapeshifter. Has always wondered if the dreams he's had since childhood actually meant something...and now he's faced by a really pissed off male wolf and an equally frightening she-wolf, and it all comes together, and yes, he is one of them and they are willing to accept him into the pack. That's where I left off today, and I have no idea where the story will go from here, but I can't wait to get back to it, to let my fingers fly as my characters lead me into the next chapter. It's fantasy, it's fiction, it's so real it gives me chills...and I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. Damn, I love my job! And yeah, Baylor will definitely have his own book. Dayum, the man is hot!

Comments:
Oh, yes, and isn't that just wonderful. This is my favorite thing about writing, when the story becomes so real that it tells you what's going on.

Most excellent.
 
I can't imagine ever getting used to it, the sense of "other" about writing. The feeling that your muse isn't just a term, it's an actual entity that takes over on occasion and reminds you that every word is a gift. Gotta think about that one for awhile...
 
How fun, Kate! That's my favorite thing, as well--when the characters start doing things or going places or saying things as if they're having a conversation with me rather than me dictating to them what's coming out of their mouths.
;-) bella
 
LOL...what's really been fun, Bella, is that my hero is really kind of a jerk. Think Sawyer in LOST--he's a good hearted bastard who just manages to screw up a lot, but the heroine loves him anyway, and now I've got this new guy who's come on the scene, and Jake is having kitten-fits (difficult for a shape shifter who becomes a wolf...) I'm loving it.
 
The story sounds so great!

Can't wait to see what other suprises your muse has in store for you.
 
ooooh - what a great premise. LOVE it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?