Sunday, December 18, 2005

Where'd it go?

Okay, I know better than to rely on what "feels right," bit it really felt like Christmas was two weeks away, not next Sunday...and since we celebrate on Christmas Eve it's really only a week away and I'm not anywhere close to ready. Thank goodness our daughter and son in law have the dinner at their house, but I have to cook it, or at least the roast and the salmon. Plus, my mother in law will be with us for a week--she's ninety this next month and still sharp as a tack. I hope that if I live that long, I can stay that sharp...er, guess I can forget that one. I'm not that sharp now...
Today was wet and windy and the rain never let up. I was up in my third floor office working away on Wolf Tales III when the power went out. Okay...I call PG&E and wait for light. Nothing. My deadline is growing closer by the minute and I've got no power. I start cleaning. Dusting, picking up stuff, anything to keep busy. No power. Finally the lights come on and I try to go back to work. The scenes that I'd kept in my head were suspiciously absent. The dialogue was gone. The rain was still falling. I ended up sewing all afternoon, making baby blankets for the new granddaughter due in February.
Christmas will arrive on schedule whether I'm ready or not. The book will get done when it's done, and no sooner. There's something inevitable about the march of time...I think it marches right over me. One thing I'm going to be ready for--my book signing for Wolf Tales on Tuesday, December 27 at the Northgate Mall Waldenbooks in San Rafael. If any of you are in the area, stop by Tuesday from noon to two. I'll be the one with the time-stamped foot prints across my butt.

Comments:
I'm with you on the sneaky Christmas thing...I can't believe it's next weekend! Amazingly, all the presents are bought (but one), the cards are mailed, the tree is up...phew!
;-) Bella
 
We punted on the tree. We're not going to be here for christmas anyway, and our son is too young to notice. I managed to address and seal the last (I hope) of the holiday cards and confirm the dog's stay at planet pooch. Now the next 3 days will be spent stressing and packing in preparation for our week in Alaska with DH's family. I just keep repeating my mantra, "I will keep my mouth shut. I will keep my mouth shut. I will keep my mouth shut. And my wine glass full..."

oh, and call me mother of the year. the only person I haven't bought a present for yet is my 6.5 month old...
 
Dang, I'm out of town or I would be there, Kate. Have a great signing. Just purchased your book off amazon. It will be a wonderful return gift.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?