Sunday, December 04, 2005

It's The Little Things...

I've had a whole stack of ideas rambling through my brain, even though that sad little organ is still on Hawaii time, but then when I sat down to write this morning, my mouse didn't work! Yep, it's the little things that hold us back. Made me realize how often we let "the little things" stop the big stuff..."I didn't work on my book today because the roses needed pruning," or, "I haven't gotten to my blog because I've been farting around with the stupid little ball in this dumb mouse..." For two hours? Yep...I'm a class act when it comes to the little things. Easily distracted, often clueless, totally into allowing myself to be sidetracked. Is it all bad? No, not necessarily. Sometimes those little "side tracks" we wander down have surprises at the end. While mindlessly pruning roses, I came up with a solution to a plot problem in Wolf Tales III that's been holding me back. While playing with the stupid little ball in my mouse I worked through a bit of dialogue that had sounded stilted and unrealistic. It's as if the part of our brain that directs the pruning of roses and the repair of sticky mice (mouses?) is also the same part that gets in the way of our muse. Let the little things get in the way once in awhile, allow yourself to be sidetracked, and if you're lucky, it might just open a fresh gateway for your frustrated muse.

Comments:
It's all about the little things, Kate. That's what I count on ;)
 
I like this, Kate. You're so right. you never know where inspiration will come from. And it often has nothing to do with fingers on the keyboard.
;-) Bella
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?