Monday, November 07, 2005

When your muse takes control

Sunday's my regular day to blog, but here it is Monday and I'm writing a day late without guilt. Why? Because Sunday morning my muse took control. I'd left my characters sort of hanging loosely in the midst of a scene when I shut down the computer Saturday night. They'd had a tepid conversation, a less than exciting prelude to a sex scene that I decided to leave until Sunday. I opened the file to Wolf Tales III early Sunday morning and read what I'd written the day before and realized it was all absolute dreck. Suddenly Shannon, my heroine, was standing in front of me with her hands on her hips and telling me in no uncertain terms she would never have approached Jacob Trent in such a meek and mild manner. Shannon's an almost six foot tall redhead who has absolutely no compunction about picking up a stranger in a bar for a night of hot sex, and there's no way she'd hold anything back with a man like Jake, especially since he'd just saved her life. He, on the other hand, takes what he wants when he wants it, and he really wanted Shannon. I deleted almost everything I'd written Saturday and turned the keyboard over to the two of them. By the time I shut my computer down last night I was absolutely exhausted, but I knew that what my muse had written was much better than anything I could ever do on my own. Sunday was a reminder that writing is a team effort. My muse, my characters and me. On a good day, all I have to do is type.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?