Friday, November 25, 2005

Don’t let life’s bumps kill your creative muse

Okay, it this blog I want to talk about life’s little bumps. In March of this year I was diagnosed with MS. It took nearly a year of tests to finally get the right diagnosis, so it was a relief, in some ways, to know that the medial issues I was having weren’t in my mind-- well they were, but purely in a neurological way ;).

Anyway, while I was in the hospital, being pumped with so many steroids I couldn’t count (to relieve my brain swelling)… I got an itch to write a new story. I mean, depression is a huge problem with MS, but instead of letting myself totally succumb to depressed (which was hard because now I had an excuse), I began to think about this book my sister had been whining about. See, she loves vampire novels, and she loves J.D. Robb. She wanted a vampire book; one that was different, one set in the future, so we began to chat about what she wanted and I formed a picture, in my damaged brain ;), of what the book would look like.

In that week in the hospital, to distract myself for all the needles, I began brainstorming the book, more and more. The make a long story short, I just finished the book last month, Blood Squad, http://raemonet.com/BloodSquad.html, and it contains a heroine who has an incurable disease (some say it’s my best work ever). After I wrote the book I received an e-mail from a reader. She said it was refreshing to read a book where a heroine was disabled and the characteristics of her disease were described in a real world sense. Then the woman went on to tell me she was disabled and how much joy my book brought her. Wow, isn’t that great? So the moral of this story is… life has a lot of bumps… don’t let them pull you down, or lose you muse. Use the bumps to write a better story. Be creative.


Comments:
Rae,

You rock!! But, of course, you know that. Or, at least, I hope you do. ;-) I've heard big things about The Blood Squad. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll be hearing more news in the very near future.
;-) Bella
 
Yeah, yeah. I feel like I'm always saying... some day, some way... LOL.
 
The chatter on the lists about Blood Squad is fantastic...and since I've had MS for twenty years I am REALLY impressed you were able to come up with the concept during an exacerbation of the disease...generally that was my clue to crawl into a dark corner and mope...however, I'm now in full remission and have been for a couple of years--I wish you the same asap! Write on...
kate
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?