Saturday, October 08, 2005

Waiting for the first review

On September 28th, Ellora’s Cave released their annual Halloween anthology Things That Go Bump In the Night V. Embrace Forever is my contribution to the 2005 version. Whenever a new book is released, I always feel a mix of emotions: excitement, relief and apprehension.
I’m excited about the book. I mentally cheer and give myself a high-five at publication. I haven’t had so many books published that my heart rate doesn’t do double time. I’m sure Nora Roberts still gets excited. I know Kate Douglas does. We share our excitement at our favorite lunch spot, Taco Bell.
I’m relieved that the edits are done. My editor and I worked through a series of changes on Embrace Forever. The first was changing the title. My working title was Life Sentence. By the time I typed “The End” the title didn’t work. I asked Kate Douglas for suggestions (she’s great at titles). Eternal Blood hit the nail on the head, so I submitted the story. My editor told me I had to change the title (no vampire stories with blood in the title will be accepted). I chose a more romantic title, Embrace Forever.
So why am I scared about the first review? I want the readers and the reviewers to love my story as much as I do. My characters live in my head and I’ll admit I have a thing for my heroes. Who doesn’t like a sexy man!
I wait. Will the first reviewer love the book? Will the book receive the dreaded 2 stars, hearts or unicorns? Or will I hit a home run and be awarded with 5?
Okay, I’ll confess. I’m praying for five.

BJ McCall

Comments:
Having read BJ's story, I'll give it a five! That's so frustrating about the title, though. When I write a new story, I often start with the title, let it roll around in my head awhile until the characters begin to show up. If I have to change the title, I tend to panic!
 
Oh, the dreaded reviews....I mean, the wonderful reviews! ;-) They're all great, except when they're not. But my wonderful editor just told me on Thursday night that if someone doesn't give a good review, all it means is that they're not the right person for the book. That made me feel better. Of course I know she wants me to feel good, but it's nice to hear all the same.

Hope all of your reviews are fabulous!!!!
;-) Bella
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?