Saturday, October 29, 2005

Sexy Vampires

Halloween conjures up many childhood images. Crisp autumn wind, leaves scraping along the ground, shadows cast by silvery moonlight, the laughter of costumed children, the eerie smile of jack-o-lanterns upon porches and scary movies.

I’m not thinking of movies with lunatics in hockey masks, I’m recalling the black and white classics: Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Lon Chaney as the Wolfman and Boris Karloff as the Mummy. The classics made each of these villains both frightening and sympathetic, but never sexy.

My first story, a contemporary cop novella, was published in Volume 3 of Secrets. I have the privilege of sharing space in the volume with Angela Knight. Her vampire story called Blood and Kisses was as a profound an inspiration as was her futuristic, Roarke’s Prisoner published by Secrets. Vampires were now sexy, heroic figures and the future isn’t cold and ugly, it’s hot.

Inspired, I wrote a futuristic story called Icy Hot and submitted it to Secrets. The editor hated the story. I dare not compare my talents to Angela, but damn it was a good story and I loved it. Kate Douglas suggested I submit the story to Ellora’s Cave. The editor loved it and EC published it.

When Ellora’s Cave wanted a vampire story for the annual Things That Go Bump in the Night V anthology for Halloween 2005, I seized the opportunity to spin a tale about a sexy vampire hero and wrote Embrace Forever. If you haven’t read a sexy vampire story, Halloween is here and now is the time. Try it you might develop the taste.



BJ McCall

Other sexy Halloween reads:
Mardi Ballou’s Young Vampires in Love.
Kate Douglas’ Wolf Tales

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?