Sunday, October 09, 2005

Playing hooky

I was heading upstairs around nine this morning to write my Sunday blog entry when my husband waylaid me in the living room and asked me to go for a hike with him. Now, you have to realize I’m normally one of those terribly organized individuals who plans an entire day before crawling out of bed. Today was scheduled with blogging first, then stuffing envelopes for my promotional mailing for Wolf Tales (read Nyree’s blog entry and you’ll know what all that entails!) before sitting down to work on my character studies for my next book. Instead, when Doug suggested a hike, I looked at the sun shining on the brilliant yellow and green oak leaves just outside our front window and suffered what can only be called a severe lapse in self-discipline. I threw my plans out the window, put on some old jeans and my hiking boots and met my husband at Bogg’s Forest, a beautiful 3500 acre "demonstration forest" just down the road from our house. Doug was on his mountain bike and I took off on foot. Within minutes, we were following a rocky trail through stands of oak and ponderosa pine, the occasional old growth douglas fir, and dogwood beginning to shift from green to scarlet. The air was still morning fresh and smelled of bay leaf and pine, and you could hear the sound of a spring fed creek rushing alongside the trail. At first I felt guilty, out walking with no destination in mind, and then I realized it was all part of the process. In order to write, we need to fill our minds with sensations, but we also need to fill our souls. Just two hours of following trails through the woods left me feeling exhilarated and fresh, ready to sit down and write with an entirely fresh repertoire of descriptive phrases. Now when my Chanku race through the forest, they'll leap over fallen manzanita, smell the pungent scent of bay, lap water from spring-fed creeks tumbling over slick basalt worn from years of erosion. Two hours wandering without purpose has essentially strengthened my sense of the world around me. Knowing it’s part of a process that strengthens my writing as well, is an added reward for spending the morning playing hooky.

Comments:
Good for you for amending your schedule to feed your soul!

Maybe I can say this because I have yet to receive a hard deadline for any of my fiction, but I don't call this "playing hooky." I call it "plotting," or "character development," or whatever else I need help on. I think it's so important to spend time doing something - walking, running, hiking, even shopping (Nyree and I have fixed many a plot or character dilema while wandering aimlessly around the stanford shopping center) - that doesn't suck up all your mental energy so you can just let your mind wander. And I find that after I run, my mind is quieter, so all those ideas that bopped through my head during my workout can come to the forefront.
 
Kate,

I so hear you. I sometimes feel like if I break from the planned schedule everything will fall apart, but, in truth, it's the exact opposite. Because those days that I play hooky to go see a movie with my husband or take a morning off to walk with my son--I always feel better, freer, more creative, happier.

Where is this park you're talking about? Sounds like the perfect place for me and the fam to head off to in the near future.
;-) Bella
 
Always good to step away. Clears the mind ;)
 
In the woods with Doug and all you did was WALK?

Darling? How can I help you to learn the wonders of nature naked? LOLLOL

Glad to hear it cleared your head--go write me another FAB book :)

Love,
Dakota :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?