Monday, October 31, 2005

Persevering in your goal to pub with NY

In this blog, I’d like to talk about using your back ground and small press experience to meet your ultimate publishing goal, NY. First and foremost you need to ask yourself, what is your publishing goal? Mine is to publish in NY, on this I am clear. In 1998, when I first became serious about writing, I joined my local chapter of the RWA and went about selling my book. Much to my dismay, reject after reject began to stream in. Well this will not do, I told myself, so I kept trying and trying. Then I wrote my second book, and my third and fourth and kept going. Finally, in February of 2004 a small press erotica e-book publisher, said, YES. You can image how thrilled I was.

So my first published book, The Lost Wolf Warrior, went to market in June 2004 and guess what, all those other books were ready to go, so I sold them, 9 books since last June have now been published with http://Liquidsilverbooks.com . Am I making bunches of money in e-books? Noooo, not at all. But here’s what happened, great reviews and awards began to roll in, which attracted an agent, bam another goal met. My strong law enforcement background and my now published author status allowed me to begin booking speaking engagements, including RT 2004, where I was honored to speak with fantastic authors like Susan Grant and Lindsey McKenna, bam another goal met. All of sudden doors began to open, that might have otherwise been closed.

Okay, have I sold to NY yet? No, but you know what, I’m very close and the experience of small press e-books has helped prepare me for what is to come, allowed me to make friends and contacts in the industry, made me hone my craft and overall has been a great, career-building experience. Bam, bam, bam, more goals met.

So my advice to new authors is to use your small press experience and your background to reach your publishing goals. Oh and never give up, keep writing!


Comments:
LOL...boy, do I know perseverance! I wrote my first romance in 1985, finally sold to an epub in 1998 or so, but I did exactly as you suggest in your blog. I used my epublishing success, the awards I won and the great reviews to get an agent. Luckily, I found one as stubborn as I am because it took Jessica four more years to finally get a contract for me--but what a contract! Six titles: three novels and three novellas with Kensington's new Aphrodisia line of erotic romance. It took me twenty years for that NY contract, but I wouldn't change a thing about the journey. I've learned so much about the business, improved my craft and made a host of wonderful friends in the bargain. Hang in there, Rae. It's your turn next!
 
Thanks, hon. Your my hero ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?